REDUCE – REUSE – RECYCLE
Waste management is one of the most complex and difficult problems that our country has to face, just like any modern society.
According to the latest data, our county produces more than 4.5 million tonnes of municipal solid waste each year (household and commercial waste), excluding agricultural, construction industrial waste or other specific types of waste.
This means each resident produces an average of 440 kg of solid waste each year. This waste include large quantities of useful material, such as paper, glass, aluminium, plastics, metals and wood which are lost and could have been utilized either through reuse or recycling or in new applications, thus saving huge quantities of raw materials and energy.
So to reduce waste:
• Use products without or with minimum packaging.
• Use products that can be re-used using spare parts.
• Use glass products and non-plastic packaging.
• Use Products whose packaging can be re-used.
• Use rechargeable batteries.
You may also:
• Organize a bazaar rather than throw away stuff that are useless for you.
• Donate clothes or toys you do not need to charities or people in need.
• Start making your own fertilizer for the garden or pots by recycling your organic waste.
• Ask yourself if you really need what you are buying.
• Get bags that can be re-used.
• Avoid disposable items.